And no, it's not alcohol! ;) Although I do not give medical advice nor am I a doctor, but I see time and time again that many Moms suggest to others with sleep problems to give themselves (and/or their children) OTC Melatonin to sleep through the night- which if pediatrician recommended can be a good solution for children with major sleep issues- but what about just introducing different foods at night before they go to sleep? Before YOU go to sleep? Ditch the OTC sleep aids and get a little creative tonight with dinner and get the sleep your body needs with these easy (and cost effective) snacks & dinner choices:
- Turkey: Maybe one of the most obvious choices- who doesn't get SUPER TIRED after Thanksgiving dinner? Turkey has an amino acid within it called Trytophan, which acts a natural and safe sedative.
- Bananas, Almonds: Commonly used for a breakfast item, these are packed with magnesium (and potassium in bananas), which relaxes your muscles and yes, makes you more tired.
- Sweet Potatoes: GREAT dinnertime choice for the little ones that are eating purees! Sweet potatoes are packed with sleep-promoting complex carbohydrates and our good friend, potassium which is a natural muscle-relaxer.
- Whole Grains: this could be a cereal, or cheese & crackers: whole grain assists in the production of serotonin, which helps you get those Zzz's.
- Milk, Yogurt, Cheese: Like turkey, dairy products contain Trytophan as well.
- Cherries & Chamomile tea (not pictured): Cherries actually contain melatonin, surprise! Try cherry juice or chamomile tea, before bed for a quick refreshment.
"Now wait, what foods are the WORST for me then?" you might be wondering at this point.......Post coming soon!